How do I get a hold of my wife to get a divorce? 6 Answers as of November 28, 2011

I'm married, but I don't talk to or know how to get a hold of my wife. I'd like to get a divorce. What do I do? I live in CA. I have been married for four years.

Your best bet would be to retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you - who would know how to get your spouse served via Publication (doing the things necessary to seek and obtain an order for publication and get the publication accomplished), and how to get a Judgment of Dissolution of Marriage against your spouse through the Default process.
Try and find her through her last known address and family or friends. If you cannot locate her, see if a process server or a private investigator can locate her by skip trace. If all else fails, the court may allow you to serve her by notice of publication.
You don't need to know where your wife lives before you file for divorce. However, you will need to find out that info in order to serve her once the divorce papers have been filed with the court. You can hire a private investigator to locate your wife, and then hire a process service company to serve her once her location is known. If you can't locate her after a diligent search, then you can go to court to obtain an order to have her served by "publication." If she doesn't respond in 30 days after being served, then you can finalize your case by default. That is of course a very brief overview of the process, which can be rather technical in its application. Thus, it would be best to consult with a local family law lawyer to learn more about the divorce process, learn about your rights, and develop a plan of action based on the particular facts in your case.
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
You will need to track her down so she can at least be served with the papers. I have an investigator who does this for me when necessary. If she cannot be tracked down, then you can seek a court order allowing you to serve her via publication.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
You can file for divorce and request service of the papers by posting.
    Maclean Chung Law Firm
    Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
    You can file for divorce, and then make a search to find out where she lives so you can serve her the paperwork. If after a diligent search you are unable to find her to serve her, you can request that the court allow service by publication, which gives "notice" of the divorce by publishing it once a week for four weeks in an approved publication. Once notice has been given, your spouse has 30 days to respond, and if no response is received, then you can proceed with a default divorce. In California, you do not need consent of the other party to get divorced.