How do I get a green card? 5 Answers as of April 20, 2011

What are the steps to filing for my brother, who lives in Jamaica? I am a born US Citizen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Pacifica Legal Services
Pacifica Legal Services | Floyd Fernandez
You may file an I-130 Petition for Alien Relative with the CIS. When the petition is approved by CIS, he will be made a 4th priority preference applicant. And he will have to wait until his priority date assigned to him (the date you first filed) arrives, which will be at least 9 to 14 years. It won't be easy. When that date arrived, he would have to file through the State Department's National Visa Center, and it will be assigned to the U.S. Embassy in Kingston.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/20/2011
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
You would need to file an alien relative petition. However the waiting time is like 10 years.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If you are a US citizen, you first file the I-130 petition with DHS. Your case is then transferred to the National Visa Center. They will hold your brother's file until he is able to apply for his green card. Under current processing for your category, that is about ten years. At that point, your brother visits the US consulate, obtains his visa and enters the US. Here is the link to the most recent visa bulletin: Scroll to family chart and find your brother's box. When the I-130 filing date appears there, his case can move to the green card step!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
File a I-130 and wait for it to be approved; then the National Visa Center will contact you for consular processing. Be prepared to wait about 5 to 8 years. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/19/2011
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson
Law Office of Michael E. Hendrickson | Michael E. Hendrickson
Check out the USCIS website at which has the links which explain how to go about it and what forms are required which can also be downloaded and printed out from this website.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 4/19/2011
Click to View More Answers: