How do I get a DWI expunged if I got it 20 years ago? 4 Answers as of March 30, 2011

How do I get a DWI expunged if I got it 20 years ago? I got it while living in New York. I was able to also fulfill the requirements. Should i get a lawyer?

There is no expungement provision in NY law regardless of how long ago it happened.. However, you may be eligible for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disability which is usually best to hire a lawyer to accomplish for you. Good luck.
Some states like Tennessee have statutes that allow a conviction to be "expunged' which means erased and removed from the computer records. This is not possible in New York. You can have a current drug case dismissed with certain programs, but past convictions can only be "vacated" if they were illegal or if new evidence is discovered, but then you have to try the case again or plea it out or have it dismissed. The record of what happened will always be on the computer records in New York, even if it is dismissed.
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers
Expert Bronx Criminal Lawyers | Alexander Sanchez
There is no expungement of criminal records in New York. However, you can seek a Certificate of Relief of Civil Disability. This restores any civil rights that may have been suspended at the time of your conviction. It's definitely good to have, even if all of your rights have already been restored due to the age of the original case. A lawyer can aid you through the process which can take several months.
There is an application to file to expunge convictions. You should hire an attorney to do this.