How do I get domestic violence charges expunged if the incident occurred in California? 10 Answers as of March 14, 2011

Can I get these domestic charges removed from my record? The incident happened about 8 years ago. I fulfilled all of my court requirements.

Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
It is possible to apply through the county probation office. But it usually takes 4 to 6 months. In order to get a faster result it is necessary to retain an attorney. We handle many of them and can be reached at Tom Mueller 408 2921564
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf
Law Offices of Lawrence Wolf | Lawrence Wolf
Yes, we can do that for you.
It sounds like it shouldn't be a problem. This is a procedure you can do yourself or you can call me (or the attorney of your choice) to do it for you.
You dont. Such charges are specifically barred from expungement.
Expungement , yes. Removed from your record, no. The fact of the arrest will always be on your record. The fact of the conviction will always be there in the file. An expungement permits a withdrawal of a guilty/no contest plea, entry of a not guilty plea and a subsequent dismissal. In California, you would still be required to inform a potential gov't employer of the conviction as well as any state licensing agency (Dept. of Real Estate, State Bar, etc.). Generally, as I see background investigators in the court house almost daily checking long lists of people in the criminal clerk's office, I recommend that one tells the potential employer of the conviction and note that it was expunged. I think it tends to demonstrate a degree of reform and honesty.
    You need to hire a CA lawyer who practices in the county where this happened. He can get the record expunged. If you were in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo Counties, call me.
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca
    Law Offices of Philip P. De Luca | Philip De Luca
    Provided that you have satisfactorily completed all terms of your probation, that you did not serve time in State Prison arising out of the domestic violence charge (the question did not indicate whether it was a felony or a misdemeanor conviction) and you have no new offenses pending against you, it is likely you will meet the eligibility guidelines for an expungement. Get a copy of the Court Docket relating to your case, then call an attorney who handles expungements (myself included) and the attorney, once retained, can file a Penal Code Section 1203.4 or 1203.4a Motion for an Expungement. There is a small filing fee involved; notice must be given to the prosecutorial agency and these matters are usually resolved within 4-6 weeks from the date of filing the Motion.
    Once you have successfully completed probation, you arte eligible to petition the court for expungment. A lawyer can help you do this.
    Law Office of Joe Dane
    Law Office of Joe Dane | Joe Dane
    Yes, as long as you successfully completed probation and were not sentenced to state prison, you can seek what is commonly known as an expungement. It doesn't erase it from your record, but it does allow you to tell private employers that you have not been convicted of that offense.
    Law Office of Gregory W. Fox
    Law Office of Gregory W. Fox | Gregory W. Fox
    You will need to file a motion to dismiss pursuant to Penal Code section 1203.4.