How do I get a divorce when my husband abandoned me and our child? 14 Answers as of January 15, 2014

We live in different states.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
File for a divorce in the state in which you reside as long as you meet the residency requirements.
Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
Replied: 1/14/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
If you live in California for at least 6 months and in your county for at least 3 months, you can file your divorce action here.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/14/2014
John Russo | John Russo
You file.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 1/15/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
See an attorney in the state where you and the child live.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/14/2014
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
You can file in the county where you reside and if he fails to appear, you can default him and get your divorce(after 60 days of his receipt of petition).
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/14/2014
    The Law Office of James P Peterson
    The Law Office of James P Peterson | James P Peterson
    File in the county you have lived for the last 90 days assuming you have lived in the state of Texas for a total of six months during your life time. Serve him with papers where he lives and complete the divorce 60 days after the case is filed. Before the 60 days have run, you may file for temporary orders for custody, child support, and spousal support.
    Answer Applies to: Texas
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Law Office of Robert E McCall | Robert McCall
    Talk to attorney about Service by Publication.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
    File for divorce in the state where you are a legal resident in California that means at least three months residency here. Have him served with the papers. It doesn't matter that he abandoned you and the children. California is a no fault divorce state. All you have to say to get a divorce is that there are irreconcilable differences. It seems fairly clear to me that is your case.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Miller Law Firm
    Miller Law Firm | Karen Barbara Miller
    You can publish the service of the Summons and Petition. The court would have to order this after you file a due diligence declaration from a legal newspaper that shows that all records have been searched and your husband's whereabouts are unknown.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
    You can seek a divorce in your state of residence to terminate your marriage however, you must get service on him your attorney can advise you about this to get resolution about child custody, child support, and division of marital property and debts.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Provda Law Firm
    Provda Law Firm | Bruce Provda
    Once you have gained residency in your state you can file in that state.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
    If you have lived in the present state for 6 months you can file in that state for dissolution and then have him served where ever he is.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Peters Law, PLLC
    Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
    You file for divorce in your state and have him served in his. An attorney would be helpful if your husband makes life difficult.
    Answer Applies to: Idaho
    Replied: 1/14/2014
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP
    Barr, Jones & Associates LLP | Andrew Brasse
    You can file the divorce in Ohio as long as you have lived here for at least the past 6 months. You would file in the county of your residence, as long as you have lived in that county for at least 3 months.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/14/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney