How do I get a divorce in California? 4 Answers as of November 18, 2010

I want to get a divorce because my husband left me and went to Mexico with his family and left me. Please help me to get divorced.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You can hire an attorney to take care of it for you or you can go to the court house and ask the facilitators for help. It is a long and complicated process, but you will get it done one way or the other. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/18/2010
Law Office of Curry & Westgate
Law Office of Curry & Westgate | Patrick Curry
Yes you can get a divorce. Call us if you would like to make an appointment.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/18/2010
Michael Apicella
Michael Apicella | Apicella Law and Mediation
I am sorry to hear about your current relationship problems. You seem very upset, rightfully so. My first piece of advice, however, is that no one should make the decision to get divorced when they are very emotional or during the height of conflict with their spouse. Making decisions in that state of mind usually leads to more trouble for that person. Thus, under the concept of doing what is in your best interest, the decision to end your marriage should be made with a cool head after careful and calm consideration. I.e., you should consider all the pros and cons of whether to work on the relationship or end it. Often times, divorce seems like an easy out when things are not going well. Yet, pursuing divorce when emotions run high is sometimes more difficult than working on saving a marriage, for instance, with an experienced marriage counselor.

Assuming after careful consideration that you decide the best course of action is to end your marriage, then you should first do a bit of research on your own about the general aspects of the divorce process to save money on legal fees. The more you self educate, the more money you have available to pay a lawyer if there are future issues or disputes that absolutely require legal assistance.

Finally, as for answering your question about "how do [you] get a divorce.?", there is no way a lawyer can concisely describe the entire divorce process in a few short paragraphs. You can read legal guides which will give you a start to understanding the basics of divorce. The next step would be to set up an initial consult with a local family law lawyer. Feel free to call my office to set up an appointment.

Best of luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/17/2010
The English Law Firm
The English Law Firm | Robert English
You can file a petition for dissolution in the superior court.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 11/17/2010
Click to View More Answers: