How do I get a divorce from someone who lives in another state? 4 Answers as of September 26, 2011

I just moved to Massachusetts and am filing for divorce from a California resident. What are the steps?

If your husband has resided in California for over six months, and has not resided in Massachusets or has no property or business interests in Massachusets, he can refuse to consent to the jurisdiction of the Massachusets court over a divorce. Your best bet is to file the divorce case in California. You would best retain an experienced Family Law Attorney in the county in which your husband resides to represent you in that divorce case.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
File and serve the dissolution documents. Hire an attorney or spend hours in the self help center.
Maclean Chung Law Firm
Maclean Chung Law Firm | G. Thomas MacLean Jr.
If that person still lives in California, and has lived here for at least six months and in the current county for at least three months, then you can proceed with filing your divorce petition in the court located in the county where they reside. It does not matter that you live out of state; you can still proceed if one party is a resident of California.
Correia-Champa & Mailhot
Correia-Champa & Mailhot | Susan Correia Champa
You need to be a resident in Massachusetts for at least six months before you can file in Massachusetts. In addition, if you have property in California the MA court may not have jurisdiction to deal with property division. That being said, I would contact an attorney immediately.