How do I get a divorce from my wife if she is a green card holder? 9 Answers as of October 31, 2011

I am an illegal immigrant. My wife is the green card holder with two misdemeanors in the past. We have a 4 year old kid now who lived with me for more than a year. I want a divorce and custody. What should I do?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Reeves Law Firm, P.C.
Reeves Law Firm, P.C. | Roy L. Reeves
File for a divorce just like any other person. You may want to consider getting an attorney who either knows something about immigration or associates with an attorney that knows immigration. The reason I make this suggestion is that you are going to be giving a lot of personal information to one lawyer, may as well let that information be used twice.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 10/31/2011
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
You have every right to use the courts to end your marriage and get custody orders. You still should seek advice from an immigration attorney concerning your status.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 10/28/2011
Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC
Law Offices of Louis M. Leibowitz, LLC | Louis Leibowitz
You situation is very involved. There is no simple answer, except that you should see a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 10/27/2011
Beaulier Law Office
Beaulier Law Office | Maury Beaulier
Your immigration status does not preclude you from filing for divorce. Since you are already out of status, your situation would not change and you would remain reportable.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 10/27/2011
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
The same way as anyone else: file in court. Your chances may be better if you consult a local divorce lawyer and discuss your situation in detail.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: