How do I get custody of my son after a divorce? 3 Answers as of March 30, 2011

How do I get custody of my son if I am going to get a divorce?

Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You will need to convince the court that it is in your son's best interest to live with you. Sometimes this is hard and sometimes it is easy. That will depend on your facts. Call an attorney like me for a free phone consultation to learn your options.
If you can't reach an agreement with the other parent, then you need to file a custody motion with the court to establish custody and visitation orders. You will then be ordered to attend mediation at Family Court Services (FCS). FCS will then issue a report, with a custody/visitation recommendation for the judge. The vast majority of times, the judge adopts FCS' recommendations. Best to hire a local family law lawyer to assist with establishing a prudent parenting plan, and assist with reaching an agreement with your spouse. If that isn't possible, then at least you'll be properly prepared for a custody/visitation hearing. Good luck.
File a motion for custody and visitation. If you are looking for assistance on your case and you are in my area, please contact me for a free consultation.