How do I get custody if the father of my son and I are not married, lives with his mother and does not pay child support? 2 Answers as of July 10, 2017

He dictates when he gets to see my son without a court order. I work and he just recently got fired. My son is four years old and I have never received child support from him, which is fine but as a mother. I want to know what my rights are. He threatens to take me to court and get joint custody. He doesn't take care of him, doesn't pay rent (even when he worked), his mother feeds him, clothes him, bathes him. I have a home, feed my child, pay for medical, also involved in his school activities.

Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
First, an attorney will have to evaluate whether the "father" has established his legal rights. You would most likely file a Petition in the Court and request custody and support orders. The proper court is in the county where your child lives.
Immediately petition the court for establishing paternity of the biological father and seek protective custody orders and support. Please meet with an experienced family law attorney to explore your options.