How do I get a copy of a family trust? 6 Answers as of October 04, 2016

My mom passed away in April of this year and we have not been able to find the family trust. None of the family has a copy.

Stephen Mancini
Stephen Mancini | Stephen Mancini
If you are a beneficiary or heir at law, you are entitled to a copy of the trust. Your request should be to the acting trustee.
Law Offices of Robert P Bergman
Law Offices of Robert P Bergman | Robert P. Bergman
If the family cannot find the original or a copy of your mother's living trust, you should search her records to see if she paid an attorney any legal fees (e.g. cancelled check, for example). You may also need to contact estate planning attorneys in your area to see if your mother was a client of theirs.
Look in the check book to see if you can find the name of the lawyer, or maybe you have another way to find his/her name. Its possible, although unlikely, that the lawyer has the original. However, you should be able to get a copy.
Trusts are not filed with the County. ?Try to find the attorney who prepared it, look in safe deposit boxes, etc. ?If it can not be found, her estate will go by her Will.
If you know who the Trustee is supposed to be, check with them. Otherwise it looks like any estate will pass by intestate succession.