How do I get the charge removed from my record, or how do I get the dismissal on the record even though the county court has no record of it? 3 Answers as of February 18, 2013

I was accused of domestic violence and taken into police custody overnight. The following day the judge dismissed the case. Now during a background check with the State Police, it is showing up as a charge/arrest only. I contacted the county courthouse and they do not even have a record of the charge/arrest or the subsequent dismissal.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Margolin & Lawrence | Allison B. Margolin
There is a way to have an arrest converted to a detention. It involves getting the police agency or DA to agree to factual innocence.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/18/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
Arrest records actually mean nothing as the are an accusation, not a conviction. See an attorney it it matters enough to you to pay the fees necessary to attempt to remove it.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/18/2013
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law
Charles M. Schiff, Attorney at Law | Charles M. Schiff
It appears that the background check is turning up a Sheriff's Department booking record. Talk to your local Sheriff's Department Records Division and ask what you can do to eliminate or seal their record. By dismissing the case, the court dealt with the judicial record but could not necessarily deal with executive branch records.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 2/18/2013
Click to View More Answers: