How do I get back child support from my ex? 13 Answers as of May 11, 2011

Can I collect back child support from my ex? It has been over 24 years and I live in a different state from where the case took place and so does he.

Use the local department of child support services to collect for you for free.
Twenty four years from the child reaching the age of majority, 19 in Alabama? Probably not. If 24 years from divorce but the child reached majority more recently, then possibly. You would need to file a motion for contempt for failure to pay in the court of original jurisdiction. Have the total converted to a judgment. Record the judgment. Get a copy certified with Acts of Congress. Domesticate the judgment in the state where the Defendant and his assets are located, and execute on the judgment there. Stay well.
You need to consult a lawyer in the state where your ex is now living to discuss the options and possibilities for success. That lawyer will need to review the original support order and the law of that original jurisdiction in order to see what the options for enforcement are in the state where your ex now lives.
You may have trouble since you waited so long but you could try by registering the order where he lives now and hiring counsel there to pursue the matter.
Go to a Family court near you and go to the Support collection unit and let them collect it for you. They may not go back all the way in time, but they will generally do it for you. Good luck.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    You can either file an order to show cause and get a judgment or contact ORS in Utah to help you try and get the money. The best way is to hire an attorney to get a judgment and try and collect it through his taxes or his new job. We offer free consultations. We are a Utah Law Firm, Arnold & Wadsworth. Give us a call today.
    If there is an order for support that he owes arrears on, then they remain enforceable. If no support was ever ordered, then there is nothing you can do to get child support. The court does not have the authority to retroactively order child support. If you are in my area and are looking for an attorney, please contact me for a free consultation.
    You want to get an attorney involved to assist you on this. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    If it has been over 24 years it may well be too late, but I would start out by talking to your state's child support collection agency.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    I would start by contacting the State support enforcement agency in the State where the order of child support was entered.
    Hale Law Group
    Hale Law Group | Joshua D. Hale
    Yes it is possible. Please call me at your convenience, we can get this started immediately.
    Goldberg Jones
    Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
    Contact the local Department of Child Support Services and see if they can help you.
    First, child support can never be determined retroactively. As a result, if you did not previously have a child support order, it cannot be collected now. Second, if you did have a child support order and the child support was not paid, whether the arrears are collectible depends on whether they were reduced to a Judgment and, if so, how long that judgment has been outstanding. A Judgment is valid for ten years and may be extended a second ten if done before the expiration occurs. Any judgment over 20 years old may be uncollectable. You should contact legal counsel.