How do I get an extension on an eviction? 6 Answers as of October 28, 2011

I am supposed to be out of my current unit by next week. The new place won't let me move in until a week later. Can I get an extension?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Dunnings Law Firm
Dunnings Law Firm | Steven Dunnings
If your landlord is willing to give you one. Has the landlord already obtained a Judgment of possession from the court or have you been served only with the notice to quit.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 10/28/2011
Attorney Paul Lancia
Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
You can hold it over for the week.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 10/13/2011
Law Office of Jared Altman
Law Office of Jared Altman | Jared Altman
My first question is why do have to get out? Are you evicted? In the marshal coming in a few days to put you out on the street? If not, then you can probably sit tight because the landlord will otherwise never get you out in a week.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 10/13/2011
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | David C. Ayer
It is possible to get a stay of eviction where hardship exists. You must file a motion for stay with the court in which your eviction case was heard. You may want to consult with a landlord-tenant attorney to assist you. In a situation such as yours where you have a definite move in date for a new place and nowhere to go in the meantime, you have a good chance of being granted a stay.
Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
Replied: 10/12/2011
Click to View More Answers: