How do I get access to my brothers bank accounts? 13 Answers as of August 03, 2011

My brother is a coma. He has never been married(single).He has no POA. How do I get into his bank accounts, so that I can pay his bills?

Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller
Law Office of Jackie Robert Geller | Jackie Robert Geller
You need to be appointed as his conservator. Call an attorney who handles this right away.
You will need to file a Guardianship in the Circuit Court Probate Division and be appointed your brother's guardian over his estate. If there is currently no power of attorney for health care the Court will also look to appoint someone Guardian over your brother's person as well.
Martinson & Beason, PC
Martinson & Beason, PC | Douglas C Martinson II
You would need to file for a Conservatorship over him. I serve as County Conservator in Madison County and can help you up here or help you locate an attorney in Alabama as I work with County Conservators all over the state. Good luck and sorry to hear about that. Doug
The Coyle Law Office
The Coyle Law Office | T. Andrew Coyle
You will need to establish guardianship over your brother. You can do so by meeting with an attorney who works in that field or by going to your county courthouse and asking the clerk for the appropriate forms.
You cannot access them unless you seek a guardianship in Probate Court (which may take a while).
    Apple Law Firm PLLC
    Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
    You will have to establish a guardianship to do this
    You would have to file a petition for appointment of a conservator with the probate court.
    Law Office of Larry Webb
    Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
    You need to establish a conservator ship for your brother. This is a specialized area of law, seek out an expert.
    Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC
    Law Offices of Timothy G. Kearney, LLC | Timothy G. Kearney
    You will need to petition the Probate Court for a Conservator ship. Once it is established the Conservator will be able to access the accounts.
    The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A.
    The Law Offices of Laurie E. Ohall, P.A. | Laurie E. Ohall
    Unfortunately, if he has no POA, your only alternative is to file for guardianship over him. A guardianship proceeding is a court proceeding where he will be determined incapacitated and a guardian will be appointed to act on his behalf. You should seek the counsel of an attorney (as Florida law requires that the proposed guardian be represented by an attorney).
    Majors Law Firm, P.C.
    Majors Law Firm, P.C. | M. Jason Majors
    In Wyoming, you would need to petition the Court to be appointed as his Conservator.
    Answer Applies to: Wyoming