How do I force my ex to pay his child support? 10 Answers as of May 12, 2015

My husband and I have been divorced for a year. He is supposed to pay child support, but I think in the last year he has paid maybe 1/4 of the payments he is supposed to make. He lost his job, so he does not have much money, but I cannot support the kids on my own. How do I get the child support?

Law Offices of Lauren H. Kane | Lauren H. Kane
File a petition for contempt.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C.
Goldstein and Peck. P.C. | William J. Kupinse, Jr
Consult a lawyer or your state's child support agency
Law Office of Martin A. Kahan | Martin A. Kahan
You have to file a contempt for failure to comply with the court order. You can receive assistance at the self help center in the courthouse where your case is filed.
Contact the department of child support services DCSS to get the help you need to collect support arrears.
Law Offices of Robert Burns
Law Offices of Robert Burns | Robert Burns
Open a case with your County Dept. of Child Support Services so that D.C.S.S., not you, pays the expenses and does the work. If he has no job nor assets, he needs to be ordered to make regular job contacts. Pray for work.
    Your child support payments are a judgment debt at the time they are incurred which are owned by your ex-husband. You can take him to court, but if you do most probably the child support obligation will be reduced due to the fact that he is presently unemployed. You can also take various actions against his assets. I was just did you spend a bit of time with an attorney explaining your circumstances, his circumstances and determine what can be done.
    It's hard, since if he has no money, you can't take it from him. You could bring a contempt motion in family court, and possibly get a 'seek work' order, requiring him to prove he is making at least a certain number of job applications per week. Have you considered all the ways you might increase your revenue in the meantime? Good Luck.
    Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
    Have DCS collect it for you. They can garnish his wages or unemployment.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    You file a petition in Family Court. That won't get you money - but it will get you an order for him to pay.
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller
    Law Office Of Jody A. Miller | Jody A. Miller
    You need to file a motion for contempt, alleging that he is in violation of the divorce decree. Another option may be a criminal abandonment warrant if he hasn't paid anything in the past 30 days. If you are not comfortable doing this on your own, you should hire an attorney to represent you.