How do I fix immigration papers for my girlfriend? 4 Answers as of May 04, 2011

I am currently 17 and have a girlfriend whose parents decided to move back to Mexico. She is currently 17 too and we both want to know how I can bring her back. She was born in Mexico but raised here most of her life. She is also very fluent in Spanish and I believe she is worth bringing back to me.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
Are you a U.S. citizen? If you are prepared to marry her you can petition for her to come back as a fiance. You would need to get married within 90 days after she enters the U.S. The process will take 7-12 months.

It is important that she not reenter the U.S. until she can do so legally if she was previously here without documentation. Since she is under 18 her unlawful presence would be overlooked if she only entered once and then returned to Mexico. If she returned to Mexico at any time after coming here without documentation and then re-entered the U.S. the situation would be quite different as she would then have a permanent bar which is not overlooked even for minors

I suggest we have a consultation that includes your girl friend to make sure we have all the correct facts before you start any process on her behalf. This can be scheduled by contacting my office as indicated below. I do charge for consultations but fees paid for a consult are then credited 100% to the fees for her case if we are retained for immigration work after the consult.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
If she is in the US with no legal status right now, and she is under 18, the good thing is that she does not trigger the 3/10 year bar by departing the US. If she wants to attend college in the US, then she can apply to a university in the US and once accepted, apply for a student visa from the US consulate in Mexico. As a warning, they may not give her the visa. That is because she will be unable to show she has strong ties to Mexico, in that her entire life has been spent in the US. IF denied, she will want to accrue time in Mexico- 1-2 years- and then try again. Please visit my website and click on student visas, as this has a better outline of how she can do this process.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/4/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
Wait until you are 21.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 5/3/2011
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
At 17, you are not an adult. That means that you do not have the capacity to enter into a contract. To sponsor anyone for immigration, you must be able to make a contract with the US government: the Affidavit of Support. You cannot sponsor your girlfriend in any event. There must be a legal family relationship: your spouse, your parents, your siblings and your own children.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 5/3/2011
Click to View More Answers: