How do I find out who changed the beneficiary on my mom's life insurance policy? 4 Answers as of October 02, 2014

Hello, my mother recently passed away and I have always been the sole beneficiary on the policy. After she died I found out that my sister had been made the sole beneficiary. How do I find out if my sister changed the policy to make herself the beneficiary using power of attorney and if so is there anything I can do about it? I called the insurance company but they wouldn't tell me anything.

Having power of attorney does not allow her to change the beneficiary. Ask her what happened and why. Ask for a copy of the policies before and after the change was made to see who signed it. Immediately inform the life insurance company in writing that you are disputing who the beneficiary is so that they do not make the payment to your sister, if they have not already done so. If your sister will not co-operate, then you will have to sue her and subpoena the life insurance company records.
I doubt that the co. will release this info, even if you send a letter. You might consider having a lawyer write a letter ASAP, putting the co. on notice and requesting no pay-out until the issue is resolved. Then let the lawyer get the info.
James Law Group
James Law Group | Christine James
You will likely have to file a lawsuit and subpoena the beneficiary designation form. Tell the insurance company you are disputing the policy so you at least have a chance to stop the payout before she gets her hands on it and spends it.
You need to obtain a probate/trust/insurance litigation lawyer to go after your sister; sounds like financial abuse.