How do I find out when child support is supposed to end? 5 Answers as of July 04, 2013

My son will be turning 18yrs of age this week, based on divorce papers (Miami-Dade county) there is nothing that states in the divorce papers, I will have to continue child support after the age of 18. In fact, there is nothing that states anything about child support. How do I find out if my son’s child support ends this week, he does not graduate till he is 19 yrs old? What exactly are the laws in Florida? I have tried countless times to call the courts and get the run around and no answers. The only papers I received stated the marriage had been dissolved, and one minor child born of this marriage and no further issues anticipated. Both parties have the present ability to comply with their respective child support obligations as set forth in the parties Martial settle agreement. Is there a separate document Martial settles agreement and how do I get a copy of that?

Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
Contact the Miami-Dade Clerk and ask how to receive a copy (for a small fee) of the Marital Setlement Agreement. That will have more details on the child support requirements.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If there was a marital settlement agreement, then you can obtain a copy of that from the clerk in the county where your divorce was filed. As for when child support ends according to Florida statutes, if your child is still in high school and won't graduate until he is 19 years of age, then the child support obligation continues until he is 19 (as long as he is making reasonable progress towards a high school diploma), after which it terminates (even if he turns 19 and has not yet graduated). As for determining when your child support is scheduled to end: How do you pay your child support? Do you pay it through the clerk of court? Or the Florida Disbursement Unit? If so, you should be able to go to the Clerk and get a print out of your recent child support payment history. On the first page, it should show what your monthly obligation is, when it was assessed, and when it is set to terminate. Sometimes, just because a child is remaining in high school, child support automatically terminates at 18 years because the clerk doesn't know that the child is still in high school and a motion hasn't been filed to extend the child support due to the child's continued enrollment in high school. Hope that answers your questions!
Pontrello Law
Pontrello Law | William Pontrello
Age of majority or until finishing high school.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
There must be a provision in the Marital Settlement Agreement which is a separate document, but usually attached to the Final Judgment. Call the Clerk's office, have them order the file, and get a copy of the Marital Settlement Agreement. The typical language would have you pay child support until 18, unless still in high school and on track for graduation. If this is the case, you will pay until your child graduates.