How do I find out the status of my visa? 8 Answers as of January 17, 2011

My brother which is a citizen applied for my visa five years ago and he got couple of emails and letter from the immigration office but he doesn't tell me the details. I am confused and I am wondering how could I find out the status of my visa. I am desperate to know. It has been five years and I don't know if they needed me to file for anything else. Please help. Is there any faster way towards this waiting?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
Petitions for siblings take approximately 10 years. If your petition was filed 5 years ago there should not be a visa available for you yet.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/17/2011
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
You are in the FB-4 category which is very slow. The date you filed is your Priority Date. Depending on which country you are from they are working on cases ranging from 1988 to 2002. A new Bulletin comes out every month and you can look under FB-4 and your country of birth to see what date they are working on.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/10/2011
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
If your brother is a U.S. citizen and filed a petition on your behalf, the wait is long and it is particularly long if you are from Mexico, China, or the Philippines. If you have a copy of the receipt notice, you can check on the status of the petition on line at but you will also need to check for visa availability on the Department of State's website. The petition isn't useful until your priority date which is basically the date USCIS received the petition is current, meaning that if you look at the visa bulleting and your category which should be F4, only the people whose petitions were filed before or on the current date reflected on the visa bulletin are able to apply for permanent residence (assuming you are eligible to do so in the U.S.) or an immigrant visa at the Embassy outside.
Answer Applies to: Virginia
Replied: 1/7/2011
The Vega Law Firm
The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
If your brother filed a visa petition for you, it has a receipt number. See if you can get that receipt number so that you can locate your application.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 1/7/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Unless you have the I-130 petition number it will difficult, if not impossible to find out the status of the petition. Also, understand that your brother as the petitioner has ultimately authority over the petition, he can withdraw it at any time. Finally, it takes more than 10 years for a person to immigrant based on a petition by a US Citizen brother/sister.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/7/2011
Click to View More Answers: