How do I find out if there is a retail theft on my record and how can I stop my past employer from telling future employers? 6 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I used to work for a retail store in the area. I was a seasonal employee who was let go because the position I was filling for was being returned. Upon my leaving, I was given no paper work. I have recently applied for employment elsewhere in retail. Everywhere I apply to either won't call me back or I can't make it past the interview. The last one in particular told me she liked me a lot but cannot hire me because my previous employer fired me for retail theft. There was no police were called, no police report, and no termination papers! I need help to try and figure out how to get this off of my record. Where would I look? Who would I call? Someone else said it’s just a bad recommendation. But if that's true, what can I do there? I don't even list this company on my job history. I'm just a lost girl with tons of potential looking for help.

WILLIAM L SANDERS, ATTORNEY AT LAW | William L. Sanders
Get a copy of your own criminal history. Contact county Sheriff to do this.
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
Hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
Retain an attorney and first threaten to sue them, and if they will not stop, then sue them.
Did you steal from the company? If you did, it will be tough to overcome. I suppose you could go to a local attorney and have him or her write a letter that if any more of these baseless allegations are made to future employers, the employer will be sued. It must be a small employer because generally large companies will not give a reason why a person was let go.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
There is very little that you can do. Leave that employer off your resume. There is probably no police report. It is a bad reference.