How do I find out if there is a retail theft on my record and how can I stop my past employer from telling future employers? 6 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I used to work for a retail store in the area. I was a seasonal employee who was let go because the position I was filling for was being returned. Upon my leaving, I was given no paper work. I have recently applied for employment elsewhere in retail. Everywhere I apply to either won't call me back or I can't make it past the interview. The last one in particular told me she liked me a lot but cannot hire me because my previous employer fired me for retail theft. There was no police were called, no police report, and no termination papers! I need help to try and figure out how to get this off of my record. Where would I look? Who would I call? Someone else said it’s just a bad recommendation. But if that's true, what can I do there? I don't even list this company on my job history. I'm just a lost girl with tons of potential looking for help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Get a copy of your own criminal history. Contact county Sheriff to do this.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/5/2014
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell
Law Office of Andrellos Mitchell | Andrellos Mitchell
Hire a lawyer.
Answer Applies to: District of Columbia
Replied: 5/1/2014
Law Office of Russell J. Thomas, Jr. | Russell J. Thomas, Jr.
Retain an attorney and first threaten to sue them, and if they will not stop, then sue them.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 4/30/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Did you steal from the company? If you did, it will be tough to overcome. I suppose you could go to a local attorney and have him or her write a letter that if any more of these baseless allegations are made to future employers, the employer will be sued. It must be a small employer because generally large companies will not give a reason why a person was let go.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 4/30/2014
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
There is very little that you can do. Leave that employer off your resume. There is probably no police report. It is a bad reference.
Answer Applies to: Mississippi
Replied: 4/30/2014
Click to View More Answers: