How do I find out if somebody filed bankruptcy? 5 Answers as of October 26, 2010

How do I find out if someone is filing for bankruptcy (he has warned he will do this) since the individual owes me a substantial amount of money and has made payments (as required by the signed contract) for two years. Even though I am a legitimate creditor, this individual is very cunning and would probably not list me as one to whom he owes money. If and when he does have his bankruptcy court hearing, I want "my day in court" with him to explain what kind of unscrupulous individual he is.

Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
Your best bet is to call the US Bankruptcy Court in the area he resides or does business and see what they have set up to allow viewing/searching of records. Of course, if you are listed as a creditor, you will get notice after the Petition is filed.
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC
Greifendorff Law Offices, PC | Christine Wilton
You should receive notice of the bankruptcy filing as a creditor. Otherwise, you can search pacer for filings. If you are not noticed of the bankruptcy, you may have continued legal remedies and should seek the advice of a creditor attorney.
You can go to the bankruptcy court for your district. But the debtor should list you in his case and you should get notice from the court.
Sussman & Associates
Sussman & Associates | Mitchell Sussman
There is an online service called PACER.
Call the bankruptcy court in the district where he lives and see if he has filed. You can also subscribe to PACER for a more comprehensive search at http://www.pacer.gov/