How do I find out if my father had a life insurance policy that my mother never cashed? 6 Answers as of July 02, 2013

How can I find out if my deceased father had a life insurance policy that my mother (also now deceased) never cashed in?

Geoff Germane, Attorney at Law | Geoff Germane
Do you have any idea with which company he might have had a policy? Or who his financial advisers were? Those would be the best places to start. I do not know if the Utah Insurance Commission would have any record of this.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
Whoever is the personal representative of either estate should be able to inquire of the insurance company as to the disposition of the policy.
THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC
THE BROOME LAW FIRM, LLC | Barry D. Broome
During the process of settling the estate of a deceased, the Executor is responsible to do a search for all assets and liabilities. Was this done? If not, it would require the sending a notice letter to each insurance company that your parents did business with. The final approach would be to involve the Insurance Commissioners office.
Gregory T. Taylor, ESQ
Gregory T. Taylor, ESQ | Gregory Taylor
If you find evidence of a life insurance policy in your father or mother's personal effects, you need to contact the insurance company directly with the policy number and information regarding the decedent. Then you may need to provide death certificates, etc., but the life insurance company has a duty to accurately and fairly deal with you regarding whether the policies have been paid.
Answer Applies to: Kentucky
Fears & Nachawati | Andrea Perez
You will need to call the provider of the life insurance policy. They will not give you any information about the account amount or who is the beneficiary, however, you will at least find out if there was an actual policy.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C.
    Minor, Bandonis and Haggerty, P.C. | Brian Haggerty
    It's tough. If there was an insurance policy, then premiums were paid, so you can check old bank records for payments. Other than that, a search letter to all the insurance agents in town is about the only way.