How do I find out if my discharged chapter 13 case was closed? 9 Answers as of June 08, 2015

And is it necessary for me to have it closed prior to selling my home which was not included in the bankruptcy?

If your plan is complete you can sell whether the case is closed or not. You can call the court to find out.
Deborah F Bowinski, Attorney & Counselor at Law | Debby Bowinski
You need to contact your chapter 13 lawyer with these questions.
There is no reason to keep a ch13 case open. The only way to check is look at the docket at the court house or get a PACER account (you can google it).
Call the Chapter 13 Trustee or the U.S. Bankruptcy Court Clerk. It is easier to sell a home if the bankruptcy court file is closed. The Title Insurance Company handling the closing will advise you accordingly.
Well, in a sense your home was included in the BR, since it had to be disclosed as an asset, and any mortgage or other lien on the homestead had to be disclosed as a debt or claim. Check with your lawyer who can find out with two or three buttons on his or her computer if the case has been closed. Failing that, call the Clerk of the Bankruptcy Court, who will either get the answer, or tell you how to get it without charge. Good Luck.
    Number 1, your house would have HAD to be included in the bankruptcy, because if you did not include it, you could be going to prison. So to sell your house will either require that your bankruptcy case be closed or that you obtain court permission to sell. 2nd, you should have received paperwork from the court saying that your chapter 13 case was closed. If you think you might have discarded this important document, you can sign up for an account with the website www.pacer.gov and review your entire file for a modest fee.
    Closing a paid Chapter 13 is usually automatic, it generally takes a few months after the discharge. You can check with the court and they will tell you if your case is closed. If the case isn't closed, I doubt you'll be able to sell your home because the closing agent can't be sure whether you can deliver good title.
    You would be notified if it was closed or you can call the bankruptcy court clerk.
    Check with the court for an order off discharge, and with an attorney about the planned sale.