How do I find out if my case was settled? 19 Answers as of April 26, 2013

I began the process of a personal injury case in 2001. I was 8 months into the physical therapy process when I lost contact with my lawyer.

Find the lawyer. The case was probably dismissed, because the lawyer could not settle the case without your permission. If you "lost contact" with the lawyer, that is YOUR FAULT. I am sure that the case is over after all this time.
If you did not sign a release it would not have been settled. 3 year statute of limitation. It is probably too late. You must find your lawyer. if he is at fault his carrier will cover you. Why wait 12 years to ask the question?
Kram & Wooster, P.S. | Richard H. Wooster
2001!!! You lost contact with your lawyer? How did that happen? It is kind of hard for a lawyer to settle a case without the client. Have you checked with the State Bar Association to see if they have a listing for your lawyer? It is highly unlikely there was a settlement if you disappeared.
The statute of limitations ran 8 years ago, so chances are you're out of luck.
Contact your lawyer and find out what is going on in the case. I would seriously doubt that it would have settled without you knowing about it and giving permission. Hopefully, the case is still going on.
    If there was a court action filed, then you can go to the court and seek to review the records. If there was a claim filed, then you should be checking with the insurance company. Generally, if you did not file a claim for a 2001 injury and nothing as happened since 2002 you are probably banned from commencing an action at this point under the normal statute of limitations.
    Contact the lawyer if you can find him. Contact the Insurer or whoever was handling the claim. You can contact the state Bar Association to see if any funds were deposited on your behalf (A lawyer holding trust funds for a client who the lawyer cannot find an deposit the funds with the state bar association to hold). It would be difficult, if not impossible for an attorney to settle a claim without having contact with you.
    Gregory M Janks, PC
    Gregory M Janks, PC | Gregory M Janks
    Check michbar.org for the current contact info. for your attorney. Then call your lawyer and ask what's up with the case. If you have to leave a message, you will also want to send and e-mail and a letter to the lawyer asking for info. The Rules of Professional Conduct REQUIRE your lawyer to keep you up to date on your case, as well as respond to your requests for information. If you still don't hear, file a Grievance with the State Bar of Michigan. You can also go to the Court where your case was/should have been pending, or go on their website if they have legal documents available online, and check the status of your case.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    With all due respect, why would you wait 12 years?
    You will know the matter is settled when you signed the release of all further claims.
    Sarrail, Castillo & Hall, LLP | Monica Castillo
    You would have to agree to settle your case, so if you did not do that, it probably did not settle. You should go to the court where your case is venue and look it up.
    Call your lawyer.
    They can't settle it without you. You "lost contact" with your lawyers? I can take a guess as to why, but to be fair with you, I won't post what I think it is. So, regain contact with your lawyers, find out what happened. I have a guess as to that, too.
    Lewis B. Kaplan | Lewis B. Kaplan
    It is now April 2013 and you say you lost contact about 12 years ago with the lawyer you hired ! You can try to renew contact with the lawyer . Check with your state agency which licenses lawyers for contact information .
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    You can start by checking with the county where the accident happened or where you lived to find out of a case was ever filed. You can contact the bar association to find out the address and other contact information for the lawyer. Make sure he's still alive and licensed to practice law.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    Consult another attorney
    Conway Law Pllc.
    Conway Law Pllc. | B. L. Conway
    Go get your file. If you request it, He must give it to you.
    Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
    You may want to contact the State Bar association to find out whether or not your lawyer is still I the area.
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC
    The Law Office of Stephen R. Chesley, LLC | Stephen R. Chesley
    Depending upon what state your case was at and if a summons was serviced you could check the Court's records to find out who your attorney is. If you know the name of the insurance company who represented the defendants they could check your name. The big question is why or how did you lose contact with your attorney. Since the case was 12 years ago, it may be deemed abandoned and you may have lost your right to the lawsuit.