How do I find out if I'm still married for free? 7 Answers as of August 15, 2012

Where do I go or who can I call?

Attorney At Law | Harry D. Roth
There is no one central place you can call, for free or otherwise. You are married if you got married, and your husband is still alive and you never got a divorce or an annulment. If you don't have specific information about a divorce, chances are you are still married. If you really don't know, the best thing to do is to assume you are still married and act accordingly. Don't get married again without divorcing or confirming his death first.
Law Offices of Frances Headley | Frances Headley
You can make inquiries in the county where the action would have been filed and as long as you do not wish copies of any documents the inquiry would be free.
Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
You can go to the courthouse in the county where the divorce was filed and check to see if the matter was ever finalized. If it was a long time ago, you should call the court to have the file pulled out of archives.
If you filed the divorce or were served with divorce papers, look at those papers for the case number, go on the Court's website, look for family law case summaries, enter the case number, and look up the case summary - if it shows that a Judgment for dissolution of marriage was entered, go to the Court and purchase a copy of the Judgment and the Notice of Entry of Judgment. Look at those documents and they should show when you were divorced. If you never were served with a divorce case and you never filed a divorce case, chances are that you still are married, although if your spouse couldn't locate you after a diligent effort to find you, the case may have been served via Publication. It would be very difficult to track a case that was served on you by publication, without a case number, but if you know what county the case was filed in - or may have been filed in, you could go to each court in which you suspect the case was filed in and ask to search their filing records in an effort to find the case - but that would be like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
You would have to go to the court where you lived or where your ex lived the time of separation or where he currently lives and check the court files.
    You have to check in the county where you could have been divorced. This would be either in the county you live or in the county your spouse lived.
    The Law Office of Erin Farley
    The Law Office of Erin Farley | Erin Farley
    The answer depends on whether you have ever been served with paperwork and/or whether a dissolution process was ever begun. If so, call the clerk of the court wherein the action was filed. Be prepared to show your case number (you could also go to the clerk's office and look up your case on the computer). You would ask whether or not a final judgment was entered in your matter. If you have never been served, chances are good you are still married.