How do I find out if I’m still married? 10 Answers as of February 14, 2013

I’m in need of a single signature divorce also. Haven’t seen my so-called wife in about 8 yrs. I do know she has had 2 additional children with 2 different guys. Want a divorce so I can move on. Please help.

Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
If a judge has never issued a final judgment of divorce, then you are still married. You should consult with an attorney.
Carey and Leisure | John Smitten
do a search with the clerk to see if a divorce was granted (or you can pay an investigator to do it)
You asked two(2) different questions, I do you find out something, and how do you obtain a divorce. You should know if you ever filed before or were ever served before, and the second part there is no such thing as what you call a single signature divorce, she must have notice of the action, so start researching the rules of domestic procedure in your jurisdiction as to the issue of service. Also if you have not seen or heard from her in 8 years how do you know she has other children, someone knows where she is.
David A. Browde, P.C.
David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
There's no such thing as a single signature divorce in New York, unless it's on a default. You should contact a local divorce attorney and discuss your situation in detail so that you can formulate a strategy that gets you out of the marriage.
Kingloff & Travis | William K Travis
Check with the office of the clerk of superior court where you have lived since the separation and also (if you know) where she has lived. If you know where she is and it is in your state then you will need to file in her home county. If she is out of state then you file in your home county and serve her by publication. The folks in the clerk's office should be able to explain that to you. If you do not know where she lives you will need to make a diligent search for her and then you file in your home county. If you and she have children together and any children are under 18 years old or still in high school but under age 20 years then you will need to prepare paperwork concerning child support. Either way, you will not need an agreement from her to get divorced.
    Gateway Legal Group | Christian J. Albut
    You will need to check with the court in which the dissolution was filed. If you do not know if one was filed you can search the various counties that you lived in and see if anything was filed under your name. If you cannot locate any court filing at this point then it would probably be prudent to file on your own.
    LAW OFFICE OF ANNE B. HOWARD | Anne B. Howard
    Go to the courthouse in your area and search the files. If you don't find anything, file for divorce and if you can't serve her, get permission from the court to serve her by publication (there are rules associated with this.)
    Reger Rizzo & Darnall LLP | Kathleen DeLacy
    You can file for divorce and don't know her address they will publish notice.
    Answer Applies to: Delaware
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    In IL, with you being separating for 8 years, we will not need her signature for your divorce. If you think she may have divorced you already, you can check the county clerk in which she lives/lived. If there is no record, we can get you divorced here in IL in about 60 days. You can contact our office for a free 30 minute consultation to discuss your options.
    You need to check in the County she lives and in the County you live to see if she ever filed a divorce. If not, you might need to file your own divorce case.