How do I find out if I am still married? 17 Answers as of November 17, 2011

I am trying find out if I am still married.

Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
Go to the county recorders office.
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
If you were legally divorced, then you should have received a copy of the judgement of divorce that was granted. If you do not have a copy of that judgment, then your best bet is to contact the clerk of the court where the divorce was granted and they should be able to provide you a copy of the judgment.
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
I would check with the clerk of the court of whatever counties you and your spouse are located in. You could also check with the vital statistics department of each state that the two of you have lived in.
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law
Gregory T. Buckley, Attorney at Law | Gregory T. Buckley
Were divorce proceedings ever instituted against you? If so, you would have received copies of the documents and had the opportunity to file an answer to them. If you know where the case was filed, you can contact the Clerk of Court and ask them about the status of the case.
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
Call or visit the court where the divorce was supposed to be filed and check by using your or your (former) spouse's last name.
    You don't provide enough information to even understand why you are asking the question, so it isn't really possible to answer it. If you know that a divorce case was filed and you are simply trying to find out if it was ever completed, you need to contact the clerk of the court where the case was filed. If you don't know if or where a divorce case might have been filed, you need to do a lot more work.
    Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C.
    Odin, Feldman & Pittleman, P.C. | Richard A. Gray
    In Virginia: The question assumes that a divorce proceeding has occurred, how recently you don't indicate. I suggest you first check with the clerk of court in the county where the divorce occurred to determine if a final order of divorce has been entered. The Clerk's office can tell you if the order has been entered and whether an appeal has been taken. If no appeal has been taken, the divorce is final 21 days after entry by the Judge.
    Horizons Law Group, LLC
    Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
    You could check with the vital records office in madison in the event a divorce was file in any county in WI, the vital records office would have a certificate of divorce.
    I presume the question suggests you do not know if the divorce is finalized. You need to contact the court where the divorce was filed to ascertain if there was a final judgment.
    If you got married, you are still married unless you have seen a final divorce decree. If you haven't seen one, you are married.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A.
    Joanna Mitchell & Associates, P.A. | Joanna Mitchell
    If you have never been legally divorced then you are still married. You should check with the Department of Vital Statistics and the Clerk of Court in the counties where you and your Husband have resided.
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
    The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
    You should call the Chief Clerk's Office in the county of your residence and your spouse's residence during the time when the divorce would have been filed. They can tell you. If you do not know the residence, you may have to call all 62 counties.
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    You can go online to the Clark county courts if this was in the Las Vegas area and look up your court record. http://www.clarkcountycourts.us/media/features/Virtual-Court.html
    Department of vital statistics may help
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat
    Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat | Steven A. Hemmat
    Did you file a proceeding in court for a divorce? If so, depending upon the county you may be able to look up your case on-line to find out if a decree of dissolution had been entered.
    David A. Browde, P.C.
    David A. Browde, P.C. | David Browde
    That depends upon why you might think you are not.