How do I find an Attorney for product liability? 12 Answers as of January 28, 2013

I lost my house due to a hurricane and had it rebuild. My house has flooded twice due to a product defect in less than a year. Want to explore going after the manufacturer but every I contact is looking for permanent bodily harm. What is the best way to find an attorney that is serious?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
You need an attorney that handles construction defects litigation. Look in the phone book under construction liability. There are attorney who do that as a majority of their work.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2013
Lombardi Law Firm
Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
Look for a lawyer who handles property damage claims. Your claims appears to be one based on a product defect although it may also involve construction issues/negligence.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 1/28/2013
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
You don't need bodily harm, and can sue for property damage. Most personal injury lawyers are focused on bodily harm because it is easy to calculate damages with medical bills. Find a lawyer who handles construction defects. Under Nevada law, you can probably get your damages reimbursed, your house fixed, and your attorney's fees paid.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 1/28/2013
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
It sounds like you should probably contact an attorney who specializes in construction defect. Your local bar association may have a directory of attorneys who specialize in different kinds of lawsuits. Most attorneys who do product liability go after manufacturers of products that injure people. It is not that they are not serious, it is that they do not do construction type defects.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2013
If you are serious, an attorney may be able to contact an expert for you to render a report as to the feasibility of initiation an action, but all initial costs should be borne by you and it is expensive.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 1/28/2013
    The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary, P.A.
    The Law Offices of Sean M. Cleary, P.A. | Sean M. Cleary
    My suggestion would be to not give up on your search. Even if one attorney refuses to take your case he might be able to refer you to another attorney with experience with similar disputes. If the defective product in question has design defects or manufacturing defects others might have had similar issues with it. You might have better chances if it could be pursued as a class action lawsuit. Meanwhile, what did the construction company did about repairing the defects. Do they have any contractual obligation to repair the defective product? If you know that their work do not comply with state regulation or do not meet building construction standards, your could file a construction complaint at Florida Department of Business & Professional Regulation. They cannot pursue civil action on your behalf, but they can investigate your complaint.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    You may try looking for a construction defect lawyer. However, I agree, if the defect is in a product that the builder installed, then you may very well be suing the manufacturer for a a defective product that is technically a product liability case. On the other hand, when a builder builds a home, there is an implied warranty of habitability, and implied warranty that it was built in a workmanlike manner, free from defects. If a construction lawyer thinks your defect is a breach of this warranty, it may be easier to sue the builer.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    It sounds like you might have a construction defect case and not a products case, but I really can't tell from your description because you don't say what the product defect is. I will say this, however, you may not need a lawyer. Your homeowner's insurance should cover most of the damage under the "resulting damage" provision of the policy. If your insurance company pays, it can get its money back from the manufacturer or the builder through an arbitration process that the Insurance Companies have set up. Talk with your agent.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Check the bar office of the major cities in NC and tell them you are looking for a top notch products liability person. You may or may not have a good case. you would need most likely an expert witness to testify about the product and about causation and your damages need to be large. This is mucho work for a lawyer, maybe a year or 2 in court and maybe $20000 worth of his time. so make sure you have a good case and not just a wish or desire.. and if you don't have a good case don't blamel awyers. Blame your case lawyer usually will take a good case but they don't want to take a case because you are angry at someone and try to make it into a case.
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
    Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
    The best way to find a good attorney if by word of mouth. Many times the attorneys who do the most advertising have high volume practices and want to turn their cases around quickly without a lot of effort.
    Answer Applies to: Ohio
    Replied: 1/25/2013
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    About all I can say is "keep trying". It sounds like you have contacted lawyers who practice in the area of product liability, but they only want to take severe injury cases, not property damage cases. The reason is that these cases are expensive and time-consuming. Unless your property damage exceeds $50,000 I doubt that you will find someone who knows what he's doing. If it's more than that, keep looking on the 'net, phone book, bar association referrals, friends who know other friends.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/25/2013
Click to View More Answers: