How do I file taxes as a green card holder? 1 Answers as of February 27, 2011

I am a legal permanent resident (green card). Got in the country on Jun, 6 2010, with $4,000, reported the whole amount at the customs at the airport. Ever since, 9 months I have been unemployed. By April, I want to submit a form to IRS, related to tax or income, because I have been told green card holders must file tax or income information to IRS regularly. 1) Which form should I be sending in to IRS? Form 1040EZ? Form 1040? I read that income taxes are based on the tax year Jan 1 2010 and December 31 2010. 2) Legally, for any money made AFTER December 31 2010, on the books or off the books, they must be stated on the form to be sent to IRS until April 2011, too? Or only the money made IN 2010 ? I I I On the customs form I had filled out on the plane on my way to the states before 9 months ago, it said "if you have an amount of money under $10,000 with you while entering the country, no tax you need to pay." 3) Do I still have to report this $4000 "previously-legally-reported" money to IRS too, by stating on the form, the money that I brought with me from another country to support my living here as a fresh immigrant? 4) If the answer to the 3rd questions is "No, you don't have to", then there is no amount of money as an income that I can submit to IRS. What would you suggest me writing to the form for an income?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
is the 4000 earned income or is it money you acquired before you become permanent resident? if the latter, not taxable or reportableif money you earned after becoming permanent resident the file tax returnprobably 1040EZyou report income earned each year, from Jan 1 to Dec 31you must report and pay taxes on worldwide income.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 2/27/2011
Click to View More Answers: