How do I file someone else's taxes? 2 Answers as of July 02, 2013

My son is in jail and his then girlfriend was staying with me at first then just one day disappered taking his truck and tax paperwork. his grandma has power of attorney for his rights. we search for her and the truck fearing she was going to leave state. now we find out that she sold the truck to one of her friends, (her name was not on the title nor did he sign it) and also filed his taxes and had them deposited into a account she got. they are not married, nor did he give her permission to do either of these things. what rights do we have now? she says we are harrassing her and wants the few items she left at my house. my son has also asked us to get everything of his that she has but I am sure this too is going to be a problem. She also stole my I phone and other personal items when she left and didn't want to be found. now she doesn't have them either.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
DEAN T. JENNINGS, P.C. | Dean T Jennings
File a police report on the truck and phone and items she has "stolen". You can get duplicates of your son's tax information W-2s, etc. from his employers, Grandma can sign the return when prepared, if you can't get it to him to sign, and she must include a copy of her Power of Attorney. There is a specific Power of Attorney form that the IRS will want him to sign designating her but for now if you are in a hurry you can use whatever you have until you can get him to sign the correct IRS Power of Attorney.
Answer Applies to: Iowa
Replied: 3/2/2012
Bricker & Eckler
Bricker & Eckler | Chad Dennis Hansen
Sounds like a referral for IRS Criminal Investigation Division.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 7/2/2013
Click to View More Answers: