How do I file a recognition of divorce for immigration purposes? 4 Answers as of February 17, 2011

Immigration said I do not need my ex signature since I explained everything when I called them because I am really desperate now. I have the custody of the kids since in the Philippines we don't really have to have an agreement for that and they are still minors. To be fair, I let my ex’s mom take care of my daughter and my mom for my son. But I'm still hoping that we will be together and will be happy. They both see each other everyday and they are both smart and cute. Where can I file my recognition of my divorce to let them know that I got divorced and married now? How can I change my last name on my greencard? Thanks a lot and hoping for your reply. Have a good one and god bless.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If the divorce is legal in the country where it is made, then it would be recognized in the U.S. If it was not a legal divorce in the Philippines, then you could get divorced again in the U.S. (in some states you may also need to get re-married; but in many you do not and the marriage would become effective as of the date of the second divorce.) If the divorce is a legal divorce in the Philippines though, this is not necessary. If your new husband is a U.S. citizen he can petition for the children as his stepchildren provided you married your current husband prior to the children turning 18 years of age.

We would be happy to help you work through these issues and file a petition for your children to join you in the U.S. Contact me as indicated below to set up a consultation. We do charge for consultations but any consultation fees would then be a credit toward the fees for your case if we are retained for further work after the consultation.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/17/2011
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law
Law Office of Immigration & International Trade Law | Linda Liang
You don't need to inform USCIS you are divorced. You need to keep your divorce decree for next petition to show your marriage status. Good luck!
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/28/2011
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC
Nicastro Piscopo, APLC | Louis M. Piscopo
Unfortunately, I do not understand your question regarding "recognition of divorce for immigration purposes." Who do you want to notify that you are divorced? Why do you want to notify them? If this is something to regarding petitioning your children, I am not sure what the divorce has to do with the situation.

Regarding changing your name on your Green Card, you would have to file Form I-90 and include the legal bases for changing you name, such as you got divorced and as part of the divorce judgment your name was changed, if you are now married include marriage certificate.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2011
Law Office of Christine Troy
Law Office of Christine Troy | Christine Troy
I am sorry, but I don't really understand your question. If your children are in the US and you have custody of them, then I don't understand the issue. In terms of your own green card, if you have remarried, you probably need to file a copy of your marriage certificate along with a certified copy of your divorce certificate. That can be from the Philippines or if you filed for divorce in the US, then a copy of the finalized divorce document issued by the court in your jurisdiction.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/28/2011
Click to View More Answers: