How do I file a motion to get credit? 2 Answers as of May 14, 2012

I need help filing a motion to get credit for time served. I had an attorny but he doesnt want to help me with this matter I dont really believed he helped me to much to begin with.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
H. Scott Basham, Attorney at Law, P.C. | H. Scott Basham
You can find another attorney, preferably one experienced with what is called post-conviction release.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/14/2012
VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, LLC | Anthony Overton Van Johnson
Typically, when a Defendant is entering a guilty or Nolo plea, the attorney representing the Defendant requests that the Defendant receive credit for time served. It is not necessary to file a motion for this purpose. Frequently; however, if the Defendant has spent time in jail in a different jurisdiction (e.g., different county), the sentencing court does not offer credit for time served in a different correctional facility, or on a different case. Upon being sentenced to serve a period of time in custody, the Sheriff's Department will frequently calculate how much time the Defendant has served in custody (in their facility, on this same case) in determining a release date.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 5/14/2012
Click to View More Answers: