How do I file medical bankruptcy? 26 Answers as of July 17, 2013

I need to file medical bankruptcy. I have huge medical bills that I can't pay for and I need to do something.

Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC
Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC | Roxanne Eberle
A bankruptcy for medical debt is the same as a bankruptcy for any other kind of debt. Whether you file a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13 generally depends on your income level, etc. You would need to either meet with a bankruptcy lawyer (recommended) or fill out all the forms and schedules yourself. There are a lot of rules to follow and it is a complex area of law so make sure you understand it before going forward. Good luck.
Steven Alpers | Steven Alpers
A bankruptcy is a bankruptcy. You need to file a chapter 7 or 13 based on your income.
Jakob-Barnes Law Firm, LLC
Jakob-Barnes Law Firm, LLC | Jennifer Jakob-Barnes
There is no specific medical bankruptcy. The bankruptcy code is very specific on the documentation required and the process.
You should seek counsel before you otherwise commit to anything. It is possible, and sometimes necessary to file for bankruptcy protection but it is not to be done precipitously.
Saperstein Law Firm
Saperstein Law Firm | Israel Saperstein
Consult with a bankruptcy attorney to see if you qualify to file a Chapter 7 bankruptcy case. If you qualify, you can discharge medical debts the same as any other unsecured debts. For example, the medical debts are treated no differently than credit card debts.
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    There's no such thing as "medical bankruptcy." If you file BK you will list every debt and asset. Debts that are dischargeable will be discharged. Medical bills are dischargeable. Good luck.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Please contact an attorney to assist you in filing a bankruptcy. He or she can walk you through the process. The term "medical bankruptcy" is really a misnomer. When you file bankruptcy you must list all your debts, not just medical debts.
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
    There's no such thing as "medical bankruptcy"; you either file a Chapter 7 or a Chapter 13. You must first qualify under the means test to be able to file a Chapter 7; if you have over $100.00 / mo. in disposable monthly income under Schedules I & J, then you'd have to file a Chapter 13. You can discharge medical costs in bankruptcy.
    Graves Law Firm
    Graves Law Firm | Steve Graves
    If you qualify under the means test, you should be able to wipe out your medical debt. Call a bankruptcy lawyer.
    There is no such thing as a "medical bankruptcy." Bankruptcy is bankruptcy.... What your debts are from does not matter. See a lawyer to determine if you qualify, there are income restrictions for ch7.
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    There is no "medical bankruptcy" specifically, but a bankruptcy will discharge medical debts. In fact, medical bills are one of the biggest reasons for filing for bankruptcy protection.
    La Office of William H. Von Willer | William H. Von Willer
    There is really no such thing as a medical bankruptcy. Having large medical bills may be the reason you need to file for bankruptcy and you would have to file, in most cases, either a Chapter 7 or Chapter 13 bankruptcy.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    Unfortunately, there is no such thing as a "medical bankruptcy". Medical debts are one of the three reasons why people are forced to file bankruptcy. First, please understand that bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    The Michigan Bankruptcy HQ
    The Michigan Bankruptcy HQ | Joseph P. Saulski
    There is no such thing as medical bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is bankruptcy regardless of the type of debt. The same petition and schedules are filed in all bankruptcy case. Only in rare circumstances the amount and type of matters (Chapter 13 cases the limits are $360,475 of unsecured debt and $1,081,400 of secured debt).
    It sounds like you mean a chapter 7 bankruptcy, which you can go see a local attorney or if you want to file on your own, then go to your bankruptcy district website and get instructions for "pro se" debtors.
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks | Terrell Monks
    Bankruptcy forms and procedures are the same without regard to the source of debt. At our office we supply a questionaire and checklist to help guide you in gathering the information that you will need. Generally, you will be providing the Court a complete financial picture of your income, debts, and assets. It is lengthy, but often necessary.
    There is no such thing as a "medical bankruptcy". You either file bankruptcy, or you don't. Medical debts are usually dischargeable in any bankruptcy case. I recommend having a consultation with an experienced bankruptcy attorney in your state.
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger
    Law Offices of Michael J. Berger | Michael J. Berger
    There is no special type of bankruptcy for medical bills. You just file a regular Chapter 7, 11 or 13 and list all of your debts, including all of your medical bills.
    Law Office of Michael Johnson
    Law Office of Michael Johnson | Michael Johnson
    It is just a bankruptcy. There is no difference you just need to make sure you file. The only difference is that your income may not be determinative of the chapter you need to file.
    You would need to complete the required forms, complete the required consumer credit counseling, complete the means test and pay the required fee. However, before filing for bankruptcy, you should contact a local bankruptcy attorney to determine what chapter you are eligible for and whether bankruptcy is even right for you. I provide a free, no obligation, telephone consultation.
    Knute Rife
    Knute Rife | Knute Rife
    Medical bills are a leading cause of bankruptcy. Consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney who will help you prepare your case.
    Law Office of Norman Moore
    Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
    You are probably looking at filing a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. I recommend contacting a bankruptcy attorney for assistance with that process.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    There is no such thing as a Medical Bankruptcy. It is just a bankruptcy and it will depend on your income and state (county) median. Check the US Trustee's.
    Havkin & Shrago | Stella Havkin
    Medical bills are one of the most common reasons to file for bankruptcy.