How do I file a lien on a spouse for a loan after divorce? 18 Answers as of June 26, 2013

I have a student loan that I cosigned for my husband and then he abandoned me and defaulted on the loan. A year later he contacted me for a divorce. I would like to know what can I do to file a lien on him so that I cover myself from being a victim in the future. Please if there is anything you can tell me in this matter; it would help me out so much.

Beresford Booth PLLC
Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
You will "award" the loan to him in the divorce.
Horizons Law Group, LLC
Horizons Law Group, LLC | Michelle B. Fitzgerald
If you are not divorced yet, ask for specific orders in the divorce. If you are already divorced, you will need to pursue the enforcement of this debt - assuming you included it as his responsibility in the judgment. You can't simply file a lien, but as part of the enforcement, you can ask for one.
You cannot file a lien. In a divorce, you can seek an order requiring your spouse to indemnify you from any payment on the loan, but such an Order would have to include language that provides a remedy in the case of a breach.
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy
The Law Offices of Robert W. Bellamy | Robert W. Bellamy
1. Get a lawyer to protect your rights in the divorce.2. negotiate who pays the loan in the divorce.3. Get a lawyer to protect your rights in the divorce. The divorce protects you from his acts in the future. Since you cosigned the loan if he does not indemnify you in the divorce or if does and then he breaches the divorce agreement, you could be on the hook for the entire loan. See recommendation 1 and 3.
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner
Law Office of Roianne H. Conner | Roianne Houlton Conner
This should have been addressed at the time of the divorce. Look at your Separation Agreement and see if there is language about your ex being solely responsible for his debts.
    Is ther a judgment of divorce that indicates who is responsible for paying the loan?
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler
    Law Office of Robert L. Fiedler | Robert L Fiedler
    I am not sure you can get a lien but you can get a hold harmless clause in an agreement concerning his "ownership" of and responsibility to repay the loan.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A.
    Michael D. Fluke, P.A. | Michael D. Fluke
    If your divorce is finalized, you have to go back to the terms of the Final Judgment and/or settlement agreement. Who was supposed to be responsible for the student loan? If your ex-husband was, you need to go back to the court on a Motion for Contempt/Enforcement and get a judgment against him allowing you to file a lien. If the divorce has not been finalized, this needs to be dealt with within the divorce proceedings. I suggest you consult an experienced Family Law attorney to discuss your case in greater detail and learn all of your rights and options. Good luck.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    First, I would need to know whether the divorce decree has been entered. If it has not been so entered, then, the loan should be recorded in that and responsibility for it assigned. If it is assigned to him to pay it, and doesn't, then, he can be forced to pay later. If the decree has already been entered, then, you have a much bigger problem and will probably need to hire an attorney to straighten things out, depending on exactly what the decree says.
    There is no such thing as a lien on a loan. You have a situation where you need a lawyer to address your situation.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C.
    Law Offices of Paul A. Eads, A.P.C. | Paul A. Eads
    Include it in your divorce paperwork and request that he pay half. When the court makes the order, you can collect that way.
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson
    Law Office of Kathryn L. Hudson | Kathryn L. Hudson
    If the amount is under $5,000 you can due him in small claims court, if it's over you'll need to sue him either the District Court where you live or in Circuit depending on the amount. Once you get a judgment then you can file a lien on whatever he owns such as a bank account, house, car, etc. if the divorce is not finalized you can put the amount of the student loan in the settlement agreement for him to pay, if he doesn't then he can be held in criminal contempt.
    Answer Applies to: Arkansas
    Simply stated, you won't have anything to support any kind of lien until the divorce court enters a final order indicating who is required to do what. You need to understand that the divorce court cannot change the fact that you co-signed the loan and, therefore, only the lender has the authority to take you off the hook. The divorce settlement should probably require your spouse to pay the loan and further provide that, if he fails to do so and you become required to pay it, he will be required to reimburse you. If he then fails to do that, you can obtain a judgment for what he owes you and that judgment could become the basis for a lien against any real estate that he may own. If the divorce is already final and nothing was said about the student loan, you may be able to re-open the case for clarification. But, you need to consult an attorney to determine from the actual facts what your options might be.
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC
    Vincent J. Bernabei LLC | Vincent J. Bernabei
    You cannot file a lien on your former spouse for a possible future debt.
    you can sue him in civil court obtain judgment and attach his wages
    In your divorce you can ask the court to make him responsible for the debt. Then if he doesn't pay you may be able to get a judgment against him which is a kind of lien.
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law
    Gary Moore, Attorney at Law | Gary Moore
    If the divorce is not finalized you can seek the Court's assistance in compelling him to pay the bill.
    If you are divorcing, you can make sure that the debt is awarded to him in your divorce decree. If the divorce is final and the debt was awarded to him, you need to go aback to the family law court and get a writ of execution so you can file a lien against him.