How do I file a lawsuit against a household name? 5 Answers as of January 17, 2014

I am from the UK and have a case against a household name (Internet based) with their offices based in the USA. Having no prior knowledge of the US court systems, how would one go about filing a lawsuit?

If you are going to file the suit in a US court, you will need to work with an attorney licensed to practice in that particular court.
Banner & Witcoff, Ltd. | Ernie Linek
By a household name I assume that you mean a product trademark - likely a registered mark in the USA. Litigation against trademarks is typically conducted in the Federal Court where the defendant has its corporate headquarters. If the matter is an Internet issue - other options might be available - as the www is truly world wide use and a local lawsuit might be possible. In either case - you will need a lawyer to assist and guide your activities. Search the Internet for experienced litigators.
Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
If you are a UK resident, you will need to retain U.S. counsel to bring the suit. Such counsel will determine the appropriate jurisdiction and claims. Good luck.
Mark S. Hubert PC
Mark S. Hubert PC | Mark Hubert
FIRST THING TO DO IS TO DETERMINE WHAT AREA OF LAW THE LAWSUIT WOULD BE IN - IE PATENT INFRINGEMENT, WRONGFUL DEATH, BREACH OF CONTRACT ETC. THEN DETERMINE WHAT STATE YOU WANT TO BRING THE LAW SUIT IN, THEN CALL A LAW FIRM IN THAT STATE THAT HANDLES THAT TYPE OF LAW. THE AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION MAY BE ABLE TO HELP DIRECT YOU TO THE APPROPRIATE LAWYER.
Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
You would first need to determine to county where the household exists. For example a county would be "Los Angeles", "Las Vegas" or "Chicago". Once you know the county you can go to the web site for the particular county and download a form for filing a claim to serve the household or the web page should have a phone number to call for information. You can file for a "small claim" that is usually under $5,000, but can be different depending upon the county. If your claim is over the small claim amount you will need to retain an attorney who is licensed in the state (California, Nevada, Illinois) where the law suite will be served. The lawsuit must identify a person and not a household or an address.