How do I file for divorce if I'm a US citizen, my wife is UK citizen and we got married in Ghana? 4 Answers as of May 17, 2013

I am a U.S citizen, and I had my marriage in Ghana at the church and I have the marriage certificate. Can I use the marriage certificate from Ghana to file for my wife or I have to get a marriage certificate from U.S before I can file for her. She is a U.K citizen but we all went to Ghana to go get married.

If your marriage was recorded by civil au thori ties in Ghana, it should suffice for immigration purposes.
Ben T. Liu Law Office
Ben T. Liu Law Office | Ben T. Liu
If your marriage in Ghana is a legal marriage under its laws, then you should be able to use that marriage certificate.
If you are a resident in the US (whatever state you reside in) you can file for divorce in the US.
If your marriage is legal per the law in Ghana (i.e. recognized by Ghanaian Government), it will be valid for immigration purposes.