How do I file for divorce if I got married in Mexico many years ago? 3 Answers as of October 17, 2016

I left him 6 months after the marriage because he would verbally abuse me. He also hit me. He can't come to us because he has warrant for arrest and also he had another person with him and 3 children.

Peyton and Associates | Barbara Peyton
If you are married, you file for divorce where you now reside. If you don't know where you spouse now is, you can get the court to give you an order permitting service by publication in the spouse's last know city or town. You will probably need a lawyer to get through this process.
You need only initiate the divorce action in the county where you live for at least three months and if you lived in California for a least a total of six months.
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
It depends where you live? You can generally file for a divorce in the State or Country where you reside. If you husband is a foreign national residing in a foreign country there could be special rules which make is challenging to serve divorce papers in the foreign country. You may also want to consult with an attorney in Mexico about your options in obtaining the divorce there.