How do I file for custody of my children? 13 Answers as of November 10, 2011

I need help on filing on custody of my kids.

Ruiz Law Group, P.C.
Ruiz Law Group, P.C. | Frances Ruiz
You can petition for custody in your local county family court.
Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat
Law Offices of Steven A. Hemmat | Steven A. Hemmat
You will need to consult with an experienced attorney to discuss your particular circumstances and the process for pursuing primary residential care of your children. The answer to your question depends upon many factors.
You would be filing a motion to modify the custody plan if one exists or alternatively file a petition for divorce or paternity and a motion to establish custody and a parenting plan.
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier
The Law Offices of Seth D. Schraier | Seth D. Schraier
You need to file for a petition for custody in your local family court. You can find these forms online, and there is no cost for filing the petition.
The court process, including all the documents one should file with the motion, can't be properly explained via a few sentences. Also, a lawyer would need more facts before he/she could advise you on best approach. It would be best to simply call a local family law lawyer to discuss your case.
    Goddard Wetherall Wonder, PSC
    Goddard Wetherall Wonder, PSC | Brook Goddard
    If you and the other parent were not married, you need to file what is called a "parentage" action. That will establish parenting rights and, if requested, child support. Please contact my office if you would like to set up an appointment to discuss your issues and my possible legal representation on your behalf.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    Well, the first question I have is: what kind of case would this be? If you were married to the other parent, then, it would probably be a divorce case. If you were not married to the other parent, then, it would probably be a parentage (paternity) action. If it is a parentage action, has paternity been established? If it has not yet been established, then, that will have to be done before we even get to dealing with the parenting plan issues. Eventually, the goal of any of these cases is to put in place a parenting plan.
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC
    The Zwiebel Law Firm, LLC | Elizabeth Zwiebel
    If in a divorce action, then you request custody as part of your divorce action or in your answer to a divorce action. If it is a situation where you were unmarried at the time of your children's birth then you file an action with family court. An attorney can guide you through the process of filing for custody of your children in either situation.
    The answer depends on the particular circumstances of your case. If you have not been adjudicated the father of the child, you must first file a paternity action seeking to establish the parental relationship. If you have been adjudicated, and there has been no prior order addressing custody and parenting time, you must file an action to determine custody and parenting time by serving and filing a Summons and Petition.
    Clement Law
    Clement Law | Daniel E. Clement
    How you file is really dependent on your status. If you are married to or divorce from the other parent, you may file for custody in the Supreme Court as part of a divorce action. Alternatively, or if you are/were not, you could file for custody in the Family Court.
    Most superior courts have a "court house facilitator". They can help some but they can't give you legal advise.