How do I file for citizenship if my husband abandoned me? 5 Answers as of March 28, 2011

My husband and I had a fight 8yrs. ago and I had him arrested. He moves out and I haven't heard from him since. How do i file for my citizenship? I already have my greencard.

Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Just go ahead and file the N-400 and all accompanying documents. Since you have a green card, your marriage to him is no longer relevant. You did not ask, but I am adding: It is smart to get divorced, too. If he gets into any more trouble, you don't want to be responsible for him.
If you have your green card and have had this for more than four years and nine months, you are eligible to file for naturalization. This is not dependent upon still being married to a US spouse through whom you gained residency. You must make sure you meet all other qualifications. The form is located at www.uscis.gov under forms.
As long as you have been a Legal Permanent Resident for more than 5 years you can file for U.S. Citizenship by filing for Naturalization (Form N-400). The fact that your husband abandoned you does not affect your eligibility.
You can file for your greencard 4yrs 9months from date you received your green card, as you are no longer with your husband.
It depends on what you had when he left, a conditioned green card or a permanent green card? If what you have is the latter, you are fine.