How do I file for child custody without an attorney? 14 Answers as of November 28, 2011

I need to find a way to get the papers I need to file to get custody of my kids without a lawyer. What do I need to do?

Bruning & Associates, PC
Bruning & Associates, PC | Kevin Bruning
It is very difficult to seek custody of children without the assistance of a lawyer. However, most county courthouses have a law library. The law libraries usually have form books that contain samples of papers needed to begin a custody proceeding. The task may be very difficult and you would be better off spending your time earning money to hire a lawyer.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
The Family Court has a Self-Help Center that can get you started with what forms to file.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
You can obtain all the forms from the court house or online at the court's web site.
AyerHoffman, LLP
AyerHoffman, LLP | Cara Lee Thompson
I would visit your local Family Law court, because they typically keep on hand the documents that you need to file. Also, they may have a "lawyer for the day" that can assist you with filling out the necessary documents.
The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC
The McDonnell Law Firm, PLLC | Patrick J. McDonnell
You should file a petition in Family Court.
    File a motion requesting change of custody.
    You need to rethink your plans. Pro se custody cases rarely succeed. Your best chance is not to blow what could be your only chance, and to save money until you can afford counsel.
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC
    Charles Regan Shaw, PLC | Charles R Shaw
    If you cannot afford an attorney contact your local legal aide organization who have civic minded attorneys that offer their professional services for free to needy clients.
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar
    The Law Offices of Mandy J. McKellar | Mandy J. McKellar
    Go to the family court self help center. You can also access the Clark county self help center forms online.
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy
    Law Office of Cassandra Savoy | Cassandra Savoy
    Speak to the staff at the county courthouse.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    You need to protect your legal rights and representing yourself is not the way to do so. Retaining a lawyer need not be as difficult as you think.
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni
    Law Office of Michael W. Bugni | Jay W. Neff
    I suppose read, a lot. You are first going to have to figure out exactly what your case is about. Is it a paternity case? Is it a parenting plan modification case? Is it a divorce case? Once you have figured out what type of case it is going to be, you'll next need to figure out what forms you will need. The state maintains a website of them. See: http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/ After you have the forms, you will need to figure out how to fill them out , how to file them, and how to serve them.
    You should Google Washington Divorce forms.