How do I file a battery case against a police officer if I can’t afford an attorney? 1 Answers as of September 13, 2017

I worked as a police officer. I did file a complaint and informed Chief of Police and Watch Commander and CPD told me I had to file with my Police Department and they refused to file a report staying they handled it. It happened on November 2014. They do not have a union and this sergeant committed battery against me by pushing and shoving me over 19 times and continued following me. I could not afford a lawyer and I want and need some help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
1.) I apologize if it seems harsh but it is nonsense to say that "you couldn't afford an attorney." 2.) You did NOT need an attorney to file criminal charges. All you had to do was take the police report to the State's Attorney. There would have been NOTHING that a private attorney could have done relative to criminal charges. 3.) If you sustained injury, any personal injury attorney would have taken your case for no money up-front. They get paid 1/3 of their recovery. 4.) If an officer causes harm to you, you want to sue his employer, a municipality. The Statute of Limitations on suing a Municipality is one year and there is sometimes a shorter Notice requirement. 5.) The Statute of Limitations in Illinois for criminal Misdemeanors is 18 months. 6.) Unless you were 15 or younger when the incident occurred, it is far too late to do anything.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 9/13/2017
Click to View More Answers: