How do I file bankruptcy when I cannot pay debts and behind on mortgage too? 21 Answers as of July 17, 2013

Cannot pay debts behind on mortgage car notes credit cards.

Getting the bankruptcy done will take care of your debts. Lawyers have to feed their families and pay overhead to stay in business. It is a fact of life. Who can afford to work for free?
Law Office of Norman Moore
Law Office of Norman Moore | Norman P Moore Jr
When you cannot pay your debts and/or you are behind on your mortgage, you are a good candidate for a bankruptcy. The discharge erases your credit card and medical debt, most judgments and will even stop your mortgage company for coming after you when they sell your house for less than you owe on it. I think what you really want to know is "how do I pay for a bankruptcy when I can't pay my debts and am behind on my mortgage too." You can contact a bankruptcy attorney to discuss those options.
LAW OFFICE OF JASMINE OHANIAN | JASMINE OHANIAN
You file bankruptcy when you cannot pay your debts anymore. It's a fresh start program for people who cannot handle their debts anymore. Note: No information provided should be relied on as legal advice. You are not a client of this firm unless you keep a copy of a retainer executed by both you and an attorney of this firm.
The Smalley Law Firm, LLC | Cary Smalley
I suggest you consult with a bankruptcy attorney to discuss the specific details of your situation.
Usually, persons who are behind on their mortgage and credit cards can still pay an attorney to ensure they get it done right the first time. If you cannot afford an attorney, you can complete the petition, schedule and means test on your own. You can file the documents at the local bankruptcy court. You can also request a fee waiver if you are truly indigent. Remember, also, that you must complete the Consumer Credit Counseling course before file bankruptcy.
    Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC
    Wild Sky Law Group, PLLC | Roxanne Eberle
    If you have a house involved, you probably should get a lawyer to help you file bankruptcy. If you try to do it yourself, at least be sure to get a book from the bookstore to help you walk through this very complex area of law.
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC
    LAW OFFICE OF MARGARET L. EVANS, PC | Margaret L. Evans
    Question: How do I file bankruptcy when I cannot pay debts and behind on mortgage too?* - if you are behind on your mortgage and want to save the house, then you'll need to file a Chapter 13 (provided you have enough DMI (disposable monthly income) to support a confirmable plan) ....... you should save up enough or borrow from a friend or relative to have an attorney represent you in your bankruptcy* Question Detail: Cannot pay debts behind on mortgage car notes credit cards.
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC
    Law Offices of J. L. Haddock, PLLC | Jared L. Haddock
    Typically, this is exactly why one would file for bankruptcy protection. I would recommend that you schedule a free consultation with a qualified bankruptcy attorney in order to review your options in more detail.
    Charles Schneider, P.C.
    Charles Schneider, P.C. | Charles J. Schneider
    You hire an attorney.
    See an attorney. You should be filing bankruptcy only as your last resort.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C.
    Law Office of Stuart M. Nachbar, P.C. | Stuart M. Nachbar
    Depending on what you are filing, you may be able to roll counsel fees into plan, or if you do not qualify, many people go to family for assistance.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    Go to Clark County Pro Bono Program to see if you qualify for free legal services. Otherwise, stop paying your other debt, such as credit cards that will be discharged in bk and save your money. If you are behind on your mortgage and want to keep your house then you may want to file a 13 and cure your arrears over time.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Hire a bankruptcy attorney. This is not something that you can just go and do. It takes a long time, just to get all of the petitions and schedules ready for filing.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A.
    Law Office of D.L. Drain, P.A. | Diane L. Drain
    Bankruptcy is a very complicated process. It is wise to talk to an experienced bankruptcy attorney before deciding to take this important step. Most Arizona bankruptcy attorneys offer a free consultation about the basics of bankruptcy.
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy
    Dan Wilson Bankruptcy | Dan Wilson
    Schedule a consultation with a BK lawyer. Most lawyers will give a free consultation and advise you on your best course. Stay away from petition preparers.
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law
    Eric J. Benzer, Attorney at Law | Eric Benzer
    Please call an attorney asap.
    You can file "pro se" if you can not afford an attorney. You can find information on how to file on your bankruptcy district website but be careful of filing on your own.
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks
    Law Offices of Terrell Monks | Terrell Monks
    If you are behind on the mortgage, and want to keep the house, you may need to consider a Chapter 13 case. In a 13 you can force the creditor to let you catch up on the mortgage over 3 to 5 years. If you are walking away from the house, a Chapter 7 case may be better.
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law
    Mauritz Van Niekerk, Attorneys at Law | Christiaan van Niekerk
    See an attorney.
    Law Office of Todd Whiteley
    Law Office of Todd Whiteley | Todd Whiteley
    You are asking the question of our time. Bankruptcy is built to discharge general unsecured debt, so if the debt you cannot pay is primarily credit cards, medical bills and other general unsecured debt, then bankruptcy works wonders for you. Oftentimes, alleviating those monthly debts frees up monthly money and allows you to pay the mortgage or car payment or other REASONABLE AND NECESSARY secured debt. Another example, if you lost your job and recently got another job, but while you were not working, the mortgage fell behind - then bankruptcy (chapter 13) allows you to catch up the mortgage while paying only a portion of general unsecured debt. Bankruptcy helps debtors in most situations, but there are situations in which it can only provide minimal help - and maybe not enough to keep a home. But bankruptcy depends largely on your particular situation, and the many nuances of the code often provide help where none is apparent at first glance. For this reason, you need to speak with a bankruptcy attorney. Not to do so, is to commit malpractice against yourself. At minimum, take advantage of a free consultation where offered.
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC
    Symmes Law Group, PLLC | Richard James Symmes
    Talk to a bankruptcy lawyer in your area. You can stop paying all creditors aside from your mortgage to save up funds. The bankruptcy filing fee can be paid after filing if you need to do that.