How do I file a bankruptcy on my deceased husband? 5 Answers as of April 13, 2012

If I file bankruptcy on a joint credit card account, will it affect my credit? I still have a seperate account in my maiden name.

You can not file bankruptcy for a deceased person. Send the creditors a copy of the death certificate. Unless you have significant assets that should be the end of it.
Law Office of Larry Webb
Law Office of Larry Webb | Larry Webb
You cannot file a bankruptcy on the estate of your deceased husband. Your husband's estate (his share of the community estate) is responsible for his debts. You remain responsible for any joint debt. It is possible, I have seen Wells Fargo do this, for a creditor to open a probate to collect debt from the estate of your late husband. You should consult with an attorney who is familiar with Estate and Bankruptcy law.
You can file bankruptcy on joint and separate accounts, as well as debts that your deceased husband left.
Law Office of David P. Farrell
Law Office of David P. Farrell | David Farrell
You cannot file bankruptcy on behalf of your deceased husband. In California, debts acquired during marriage are "community debts," and the "community assets" may be used to satisfy them. Married people are often misled in thinking that because the credit card is in their spouse's name they have no liability on the debt. This is false. While it is true that they may not be personally liable, the entire community is liable for the debt of either spouse. Thus, the non-debtor spouse is liable to the extent of her interest in the community property.
Bankruptcy has to be filed by a living individual. You cannot file a bankruptcy for your deceased husband. You can file for bankruptcy but it will clearly affect your credit. A bankruptcy filing will negatively impact your credit.