How do I file bankruptcy on a fixed income? 13 Answers as of March 12, 2014

The Law Office of M Grater LLC
The Law Office of M Grater LLC | Mark O. Grater
Fill out accurately and honestly the petition and schedules just like anyone else.
Not sure what your question is. Many people file Chapter 7 with a fixed income. Ditto for Chapter 13.
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter
Law Office of Marlin Branstetter | Marlin Branstetter
Filing a bankruptcy on a fixed income is no different from filing were you employed. If your income is from social security it is not included in the means test but is included in the places on the forms that ask about income (Schedule I, Statement of Financial Affairs).If your income is from sources other than Social Security it should be listed on the means test.
Not sure what your question is. You file bankruptcy like anyone else would. You show your income.
Garner Law Office
Garner Law Office | Daniel Garner
If your annual income is less than 150 percent of the official poverty level, you can qualify for legal aid to get a bankruptcy done pro bono (for free.) Law schools may also offer a low-cost clinic in which students do it for the experience under the supervision of an attorney. Your local legal aid office will know if there is such a program in your geographic area. Otherwise, you just have to shop around for the best deal you can find.
    Rosenberg & Press
    Rosenberg & Press | Max L. Rosenberg
    You should find an attorney who takes payment plans. Do not try and file your bankruptcy without an attorney. My office takes payment plans.
    Michael B. McFarland, P.A. | Michael B. McFarland
    A lot of people on fixed incomes file bankruptcy. If it's a small fixed income, it may take a little time to put some money aside to cover the costs. Also, in some cases, it may be possible to pay the filing fee in installments. It would probably be best to consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney to get a better idea of what your rights and options are. Many attorneys will give you an initial consultation for little or no charge.
    The requirements to file bankruptcy by someone having a fixed income is no different than for someone who's income varies from paycheck to paycheck. You need to provide the bankruptcy court will records of your income covering the previous 6 months.
    Goldsmith & Guymon | Marjorie Guymon
    You question is vague so I cannot respond in detail. If you have no disposable income you are eligible for a 7. If you have some money left over after paying your living expenses, then you may file a 13. This information is only intended to give general information in response to an inquiry. It does not establish an attorney client relationship. This response is only based upon the limited facts presented and is merely intended to assist you in determining if you should contact an attorney to provide you with legal advice.
    Hoang & Tran PLLC | Adam Tran
    This is a too open-ended question. There is a procedure to follow, but the procedure is too onerous to explain in detail. Please contact an attorney who will provide you with details.
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin
    Law Offices of Eric W. I. Anglin | Eric W. I. Anglin
    There are no limitations to filing bankruptcy if you are on a fixed income unless you are seeking to file a chapter 13 repayment plan or you want to reaffirm a secured debt under chapter 7.
    Many courts have an "in pro per" clinic. Check out your local court web site.
    Do you mean how do you hire an attorney when you are on a fixed income? The answer really depends and it is impossible to state how you would pay for an attorney without reviewing your financial information.