How do I fight a small claims case for missed rent if I already paid for it? 1 Answers as of September 03, 2013

I live in Washington State. I rented a home from a couple. The wife is trying to sue me for damages and missed rent in small claims. The husband did not agree and doesn’t want to have anything to do with it. I paid the missed rent to the husband but the wife is including it in the small claims.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S.
Harper Law Offices, Inc. P.S. | Joseph T. G. Harper
If you are in small claims, see if the husband will testify on your behalf. Also, if you have proof of payment, such as a canceled check or receipt from the husband, then that should work as a defense as well. An important question that arises, however, if why the wife is suing and not the husband as well? Are they divorced? If so, did the wife get possession of the property? If she did, then your paying rent to the husband is no good, and you might have to bring a claim against him for wrongfully keeping rent he should have passed along to the wife.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 9/3/2013
Click to View More Answers: