How do I fight a minor in possession? 2 Answers as of July 27, 2010

I got busted by the cops for being a minor in possession. I am 19 years old and was having a party and they got called to my house and that's when they charged me because they saw alcohol. I read online that I can get my drivers license taken away for a year. Is that true? I live in the South Bay, Los Angeles and need my car to get everywhere, I can't have a suspended license. I need to fight this.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Juan Dotson
Law Offices of Juan Dotson | Juan Dotson
Yes, one of the penalties for minor in possession of alcohol is a one year driver's license suspension. Your options are:

1) wait and see if charges are filed,
2) hire an attorney and seek to prevent the filing of criminal charges, and
3) hire an attorney to defend the criminal case.

A trial attorney would best assist you in your defense (someone that has done criminal trials in the past 2 years).
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2010
Steven Mandell
Steven Mandell | Law Offices of Steven Mandell
There are many ways to fight a "minor in possession" charge. Every case is fact-driven, and in order to know how to defend your case, I would have to know a great deal more about the facts of your case. Your license can very easily be suspended for a year if you are convicted of this offense, although there are some limited ways to get a restricted license. Again, it's all very fact-driven. If you'd like a free consultation with me, please don't hesitate to call.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 7/27/2010
Click to View More Answers: