How do I fight a drug possession charge? 13 Answers as of March 19, 2013

I was at a friend’s house. The police found a gram of methamphetamine. I did not know it was there. My friend claimed it but I was still arrested. How do I fight the case?

Retain an attorney.
Get a lawyer. The State has to prove that you knew it was there. Go to trial.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq.
The Law Offices of John J. Carney Esq. | John J. Carney
Retain a lawyer and hope that he pleads guilty and the charges are dismissed. Your lawyer will win that trial most likely.
You hire an attorney to represent you.
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law
Gregory Casale Attorney at Law | Gregory Casale
You hire a good attorney. I do not mean to sound cavalier but really, the next step in any case where you have been criminally charged is to hire a good criminal lawyer. If it were as simple as giving you a few hints, legal fees would be minor and everyone would get acquitted. In your case, more than one person can own a controlled substance so just because the other person says it is his, that does not mean that the cops will forget about you (obviously) nor that the ADA will not prosecute you. Therefore, you need to have a lawyer with experience that is fighting on your side to protect your Constitutional rights which is what criminal defense is mostly about, protecting your rights. Whether they be state, federal or prior case law, the things that lawyers depend on to exonerate their clients are the personal rights and privileges that we each enjoy as US citizens. Hire a good lawyer and let them do their job.
    You hire or have the court appoint an attorney. Any other approach is unwise
    Simply hire an attorney and they should be able to deal with it.
    I would need further information to answer. You should consult an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances. You may have a defense if you did not know about the drug.
    Hire an attorney.
    Simple. Hire a lawyer.
    William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
    An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocution, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
    This is serious and a lot is at stake so you need to have the services of a good criminal lawyer with experience in drug crimes on your side. He can carefully evaluate the police report for any problems that could challenge the evidence including the initial police contact and search and seizure of the drug. You may be eligible for a delayed sentence or a diversion program that could keep the matter off your public record.
    Hire experienced counsel. Defenses are developed only after a full review of police reports and evidence.