How do I fight a Criminal Mischief charge? 1 Answers as of May 23, 2011

On the night of my sister’s birthday I got pretty drunk and decided to take some letters off of a church billboard. Someone in the neighborhood saw me do it and called the police. I was charged with Criminal Mischief. I was intoxicated and admitted to the police that I did it (although my friend who got the charges with me was apparently read his rights, and I was not) - so unless that is a good enough technicality, I really can't deny that I did it. What should I do? The field of work I am in college for will not allow me to have a criminal record of any kind.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Bloom Legal, LLC
Bloom Legal, LLC | Seth J. Bloom
If you really need to avoid having criminal charges on your record then you need to hire an attorney to represent you in this case. If you hire an attorney they will be able to attempt to negotiate reduced charges and/or sentences on your behalf. An attorney will also be able to make sure that the case is handled in the best way to allow your record to be expunged in the future. Having an attorney file an expungement for you after the case is over will allow your record to be sealed and cleared. In some cases, unless you plead in a very specific way, you can end up with charges that are not allowed to be expunged from your record. This is why it is absolutely important to have an attorney handle this matter for you. If you are interested in hiring an attorney in this matter, contact our firm at the information on this page to set up a free case evaluation and to discuss your options.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 5/23/2011
Click to View More Answers: