How do I fight a check system complaint? 2 Answers as of March 12, 2014

Would a small claims case against my previous bank help rectify the issue with previous bank? I owed a bank money for an error on their part which the teller had short changed another account. The bank blames me. I paid part of it already. Now, I feel they retaliated against me on a daily basis. So check systems was filed on me. Now can't open up any future bank accounts.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
SmithMarco, P.C.
SmithMarco, P.C. | Larry P. Smith
If you have any proof whatsoever that the error was not yours, you have the right, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, to demand that CheckSystems perform an investigation into the accuracy of the reporting. Send them a letter pointing out what you claim is inaccurate and why. They have 30 days to investigate and report back the results to you. If they do not make a change, then the issue is whether what they are reporting is accurate. If it is not accurate and it continues to cause you this harm, you have rights to pursue this damage against CheckSystems and the bank under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/12/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You need the assistance of an attorney. Chex Systems is a consumer reporting agency subject to the Fair Credit Reporting Act. You need to obtain your file from them and submit a detailed dispute of all inaccurate information. This must be done with Chex Systems, not just the furnisher of the information (they should be copied). If the error is not corrected, you then have a claim against Chex Systems, the bank that furnished the information, or both.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/12/2014
Click to View More Answers: